In what is surely the fastest numbered update in Straight to VHS history, version 0.3.04
brings added functionality This is mostly a quality of life update, but there's a couple small changes to the game that are sneaking in too.GAME-WIDE CHANGES
TROPE/PERK SPECIFIC CHANGES
- Added bookmarks and links throughout the document! See a blue word and don't quite remember what it's all about? Click it! Wanna go right to the Bad Guys section but hate scrolling? Open up your bookmarks folder and digi-teleport there!
- Clarified that move actions end when you take another action or pass to another character's turn (no jumping out of cover, hitting, then running back into cover all for 3 AP)
- Did a sweep of the document and corrected a few small issues, cleaned up some text and added a few explanatory bits. Nothing about this really changed the game, but rest-assured I've done some housekeeping.
- Can you believe I've never included a link to the fillable character sheet in the actual rulebook? This situation has been rectified. Also, the fillable sheet itself has been updated.
- The "Batshit Crazy" trope now gives the option of -2 to either CHA or INT. In a related matter, the "Train Wreck" cinematic action now works with either CHA or INT. You can be all sorts of crazy now.
- The "Warrior Training" perk got the nerf what was comin' to it. The STR bonus is gone.
- The "Why Didn't You Say So?" perk now requires a 12+ in order for an item to be within reach.
This latest update
brings important changes to Push it to the Limit. The short version is that player characters can no longer throw up their 1/2 total HP shield once per scene
. Also, when you do use your once-per-day
Push it to the Limit, you won't just be healing, you'll actually be gaining
epic dice. It's more fun, more dangerous, and more bad-ass. Oh, and there's other stuff.GAME-WIDE CHANGES
TROPE/PERK SPECIFIC CHANGES
- The Push it to the Limit action has been severely changed and is (once again) a once per day ability.
- Added a reminder in the Action Sequences section that players can turn in epic dice tokens to gain extra AP. This has been stated in the Epic Dice section for a long time, but it gets missed quite a bit in there.
- Added a couple more examples of how gambles might be ruled. I'm thinking this will give Directors firming footing on this.
- Integrated a new icon in the Bad Guys and Villains section for abilities that aren't a ranged or melee attack, but which simply require the player to be in their presence.
- Due to Push it to the Limit going back to once per day, I've added a sentence to the Bad Guys section reminding the Director that multiple tough encounters without a new day between them will ramp up the difficulty.
- The "Sexual Tyrannosaurus" perk has had nothing done to it. Why would it? After all, it was in Predator well before it was a character perk in Borderlands, and I would never allow my brain to only remember the latter. So, same as always. Let's move on!
- The "Push it Real Good" perk has been tweaked in the wake of Push it to the Limit being changed.
- Added the "Gonna Take a Miracle" Cinematic Action to the trope "Man/Woman of the Cloth".
- The "Martial Artist" trope now specifies the +5 STR bonus as being to attacks only.
- Clarified that there is a 3 AP cost to the "Wrestler" trope's "Signature Move" action.
- Added the "Looney" cinematic action to the "Talking Dog" trope.
- The "It's Like Coach Says" cinematic action on the "Troubled Athlete" trope now grants two epic dice.
Ahem! *puts on salesman hat*
I want you to imagine a world in which you could show off your gaming pride with a bitchin' t-shirt. Also, imagine if every purchase were to help fund the ongoing development of Straight to VHS.
It may sound like some fanciful science-fiction dream, but in fact, it is a beautiful science-real truthoid!
Each design is available in a women's t-shirt and unisex/men's.
There are 13 colors available for the women's shirts and 15 for the men's shirts!
Hit the shop link on the top right or just click here
to check it out.
A new version
has gone up today! It's a relatively modest update, but it brings some very welcome changes.
- The slasher mode, which was recently introduced to the Villains section, now works differently. It more effectively causes the danger to rise throughout encounters with villains in slasher mode.
- Buffed up a number of Bad Guys. Also added a piece of stock art to the last page of the Bad Guys section (this got added a dozen or so hours after the initial update).
- The "Magnetic Pull" cinematic action now allows you to pull yourself to the object.
- Fixed an error on the "Famous" trope. Famous characters can escape grabs for 1 AP.
- The "Mad Scientist" trope now gets the "Duct Tape and Solder" perk as a free bonus perk.
- The "Werewolf" trope has gained the "Bloodfrenzy" cinematic action, and the ability to instinctively know when an enemy is at half HP or less.
- Clarified some text in the "Bumbling Sidekick" and "Gangster" tropes.
That's it. Game on!
First things first, there's an update to the game!
Get it here: Straight to VHS Version 0.3.01
Read the changelog here: Changelog
It's almost been two years since Straight to VHS was born. At first it was just a awesome and funny idea. Then it became something super-fun to do with friends. And for a while now, it's been something we've shared on a few subreddits and posted about on social media a bit. To our joy, people have been really diggin' it.
And it's just been SO. MUCH. FUN. We wanna keep doing this.
It's time to start the next phase...
isn't just ceremonial
. There's some new stuff under the hood. Behold the terror of a villain in Slasher Mode! Breathe a sigh of relief as you see the new, streamlined AP chart (my vote for best single improvement in the last several updates), and pop a 720° frontside fakie on your BMX surfboard when you see the new Shredmeister trope (thanks to M0RGANMLGMAN on Reddit for the suggestion). And of course, there's more. There's always more.
There's a new horse in the stable. Say hello to Worst Poet Standing
, a party game about writing terrible, no-good poetry.
In short, players are given a POET
, each of which has a unique STYLE
such as "teen angst", "gross", "political", or "sensual". The current judge reveals a TOPIC
and reveals some KEYWORDS
that can be used for extra points. Then... then terrible "poetry" is born, and judged.
The game is a bit short on content currently (7 poets, 36 topics, 8 keywords per poet), but we've had a blast play-testing it. We hope to develop it further, but Straight to VHS remains our #1 priority for the time being.
Let's take a look at the two new pieces of art that were recently added to the PDF. Huge props to the artists!
Ryan Mellon, 3/10/16
Straight to VHS has never gone longer without a public update, and there's a lot of NEW to go over. First off, let's mention some of the stuff going on surrounding the game. There are now two names accredited with "Game Designer" in the book. In truth, Straight to VHS has received input and ideas from one Kirsten Hostbjor since the very beginning, and her level of involvement has only been rising. In short, it was past due to ditch the pretense that this was strictly a sole proprietorship. Also, you might notice that I've dropped the "M. M." moniker and am letting the full name fly.
We've taken the step of forming an honest to goodness company, Lost Cat Games. We've also set up this new website. A bit slicker than the old digs, yes? In our bid for professionalism, we've also removed the artwork from the PDF that had been basically pilfered from old movie posters. It's not all bad news on the art front though. Three original art works have now been added to the PDF and more will join them. Still, filling the book with art is going to be a long-term goal that we just can't possibly afford as of now.
Some might recall, I've long-talked of starting a widespread promotional push with the release of version 0.3. This isn't going to be strictly accurate, but damn close. We're releasing this update now, just before a brief vacation (not even a full week). We wanna let the changes sink in a bit and get some feedback. Version 0.3.01 will be quick to follow and will coincide with outreach to the larger gaming community. Please wish us well, but pretty pretty please get in touch with your feedback on the game in its current state. We need your thoughts! (yesss, feeeed us your thoughtsss...)
So, here's this
thing: Straight to VHS version 0.3
The change log is as follows:
Ryan M.M. December 8, 2015
DUUUUUDE! Check out this bitchin' street tough of a werewolf over here! Much thanks to the talented Roman Lutsenko
for the first (and extremely awesome) piece of official Straight to VHS artwork!
I'm slowly getting Straight to VHS ready for the debutante. Aside from artwork, I'll also be forming an LLC and getting better web-hosting [UPDATE: Done and done!]
. We're going legit, people! Stay tuned!