Version 0.4.02 has turned out to be a fairly daring update. For one thing, I can't promise you these changes are fully field-tested. They're not. But in my continuing efforts to fail faster, I bring them to you so you might stress test them and let me know where I've erred and where I've hit on something good.
#1: This update does away with opposed rolls. When a roll is made against another character, the number to beat is that character's relevant stat +10, always.
#2: With this load removed from the system, baddies have gained "reactions", leading to adversaries that put up a greater fight without dragging combat out over more and more rounds.
#3: I've conducted a major sweep through Perks, improving a great deal of them.
There were some other things I wanted to slip into this update, but time was not on my side. That said, I'm going to begin work on the next update immediately, and in a very real way I already have, so expect that sooner than later.
Check out 0.4.02's complete change-log below.
- You can no longer implement a Script Change in the same scene you picked a Script change concept.
- Bad Guys and Villains now have "Reactions" during combat, making combat more dynamic and interesting.
- Opposed rolls are being replaced with static numbers, specifically the relevant stat +10. This should speed up combat and allow for easier balancing of combat.
- Gamble Attacks now give the attacker a blooper die, rather than an epic die for the defender.
- While a character is prone, attackers get an epic die to melee attacks against them, rather than the prone character getting a blooper die to DEF rolls.
- Attacks against a character behind cover will now get a blooper die, instead of the covered character getting an epic die to their DEF roll.
- Other similar changes throughout. Basically, if something used to augment a DEF roll, it now augments the attack instead.
- Various value adjustments have been made to Bad Guys and Villains to accommodate this update's major changes. DEF and HP has largely been lowered a bit and various other tweaks have been made.
- TEMPORARY DOWNGRADE NOTICE: The baddies are currently not listed in perfect threat order, and furthermore their current threat values are highly suspect. I will be addressing these issues soon!
- Minor changes to Blind Master, Dual Wielding and Martial Artist due to the game-wide changes.
- Minor changes to a handful of Fortes and Bloopers.
- SENTIMENTALIST: The Never Let Go special ability now requires you to have failed a consequential roll first.
- Combed through Perks, looking to streamline and make more interesting.
- Various wording changes that hardly changed actual meanings, but added clarity.
- ADRENALINE RUSH: This previously under-powered perk now also grants +1 STR.
- CALMLY WALK AWAY: Tweaked.
- CRUNCH TIME: Totally retooled.
- DRAMATIC REVEAL: Removed. It's a fun idea and one I definitely want to revisit, but for now, especially with a lot of recent substantial changes to the game, I think it's important I nail down the fundamentals. Playtesting with a Dramatic Reveal character basically puts a big asterisk on the results and is not helpful for fine-tuning the game in its current state.
- EVIL EYE: Changed how it upgrades from picking it a second time.
- EXPLOSIVES EXPERT: Replaced by the more interesting Demolition Man.
- GLANCING BLOWS: Removed. A new perk called "Reshoot" picks up a bit of Glancing Blows' purpose.
- JOHN WOO: This was pretty under-powered. Substantially changed.
- LASER FOCUSED: This previously under-powered perk now also grants +1 ACC.
- MASOCHISTIC: Totally retooled.
- MR. ROY ROGERS: Totally retooled.
- MY BODY IS LITERALLY A WEAPON: Now has (Blooper: Replaced Limb) in place of nebulous "penalties".
- NOOOOOO!: Tweaked and buffed.
- RESHOOT: New perk!
- SEXY NERD: Slight tweaks.
- SLEEPER HOLD: Tweaked.
- SMACK-TALKIN': Tweaked.
- SMALL BUT FIERCE: Significantly more useful now that its special ability is once per scene, however it now requires a token to use. Altogether a nice buff.
- STILL BREATHING: Buffed, and no longer requires character sheet augmentation to boot!
- THE MORE THE MERRIER: Totally retooled.
- WHERE'S MY MARK: Totally retooled.
- WINNING SMILE: Got buffed a bit.
- WIRE WORK: Totally retooled.
- WORDS OF WISDOM: Totally retooled.
- YOU SICK SONOVABITCH: More healing, less often. This is now a more interesting and less tedious perk.
- Skateboard and Smoke Bomb were both adjusted to match the game-wide changes.